Thanks for an afternoon of Holiday Music
performed by the
Rush-Henrietta Spectrum Singers.
All programs are free and handicap accessible
An item of interest from the historian
"The History of the Union Star Lodge and Temple Building"
The January 3, 2019 meeting of the Honeoye Falls / Mendon Historical Society will feature Bud Ripley, a local historian and President of the Union Star Lodge Association
In the early 1800's, Abraham Parrish built a frame hotel at this site. After it was destroyed by fire, a two-story brick hotel was erected in 1827 on the same site. Both were called The Falls Hotel. In 1861, Sylvester Wilcox and Frederick Hubbell acquired the property and added a third story. A one-story addition was built at the north end of the building to serve the needs of the Postal Department. The hotel was renamed the Wilcox House or the Wilcox Hotel (both names appear to have been used)..
After serving as a hotel site for over 100 years, the building was sold to the Union Star Temple Association in 1920 by Ilez Wilcox. It is now the property of Union Star Lodge 320, F. & A. M.
After the sale, many changes were made to the inside of the building to accommodate the needs of the Masonic Lodge. The third floor balcony seen in old photographs and postcards was removed. Bowling alleys were added in the basement. Store fronts were created at street level.
Masonry was introduced to Honeoye Falls in 1825 when Union Lodge No. 26 (now #45) was moved from Lima to West Mendon (now Honeoye Falls). It returned to Lima in 1831. Union Star Lodge No. 320 was chartered on June 12, 1852.
Bud will discuss the history of the Union Star Lodge and Temple Building and will conduct a tour of the upper stories as well as the basement! As caretaker of the building, he is in a unique position to host our meeting and answer our questions.
The meeting is open to the public.
This meeting will be held at the
Masonic Lodge Building,
3 North Main Street, Honeoye Falls
This facility is NOT handicapped accessible.
For information, call 624-5655..
- to educate the public about the history of Henrietta, New York
- to encourage community interest in the town's history
- to collect, preserve, and exhibit artifacts, writings, and historical items
- to conduct and collect oral histories from town residents
- to serve the educational and cultural needs of Henrietta, New York