Check out upcoming Historical Events in our area
Free Scanning Day
Saturday May 4th
Back by popular demand, this is the fourth year Greece Historical Society is hosting a free photo scanning event. Local members of the Association of Professional Photo Organizers and experts in scanning and preserving photos will be on hand – Kate Jacus, The Photo Curator; Bruce Holroyd, Digital Scan Solutions, and Nancy Carr, Preserve a Photo – will be using professional scanners at each station. Visitors can stop by any time during the day with up to 50 photos or slides. Be sure to bring your own USB flash drive or USB thumb drive.
Angela Blauvelt from Archival Methods, a manufacturer and distributor of archival storage material will also be here to answer any of your archival storage questions.
The Museum will be open during the event for visitors to tour our latest exhibits. This is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate Mother’s Day by preserving your family memories.
Greece Historical Society & Museum
595 Long Pond Road
Greece, New York 14612
Creation of Mendon Ponds Park -presented by Bill Lane
Monday April 29th at 7pm
The Rush Historical Society and the Rush History Office are hosting a presentation about the creation of Mendon Ponds Park in the Udicious Pavilion (behind the Rush Town Hall).
This presentation will look at how and why Mendon Ponds Park was created.
What was there before the land became a park? Bill Lane will discuss the creation of the park and some of the politics involved. Time permitting, Bill will also summarize the geological features of the park.
Come to this presentation to learn more about the creation of the park that we (and the deer) enjoy so much!
In 1926, Herman L. Fairchild, Professor Emeritus of Geology of the University of Rochester, first proclaimed the uniqueness and value of the glacial topography, the ponds, the botanical variety and historical interest of land in the towns of Mendon and Pittsford. In 1928, the Monroe County Board of Supervisors voted to acquire 1,400 acres of land to create the County's third, and largest park. This became Mendon Ponds Park. In 1957, a small portion of the park was sold to the Town of Pittsford. In the 1960's, additional land was purchased bringing the park area to 2,363 acres. It now encompasses more than 2500 acres.
The presentation will be at the Udicious Pavilion, located behind the Rush Town Hall.
This facility is handicapped accessible and is open to the public.
For more information, please contact Sue at 533-1312 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
"Jogging Through Cemeteries" featuring Patrick Byrnes
Thursday May 2nd at 7:30pm
Patrick is a local historian and author. A life-long resident of the Rochester, NY area, he is a graduate of Edinboro University with a degree in Speech Communications.
Jogging Through Cemeteries" is his first published book..
Join Patrick as he jogs through cemeteries in the Rochester region, stopping to talk and interview people mourning lost family and friends. Listen as mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters let their emotions out to a total stranger running in the graveyard. "Jogging Through Cemeteries" gives an insight as to how we all deal, in our own way, with grief.
Patrick will have copies of his book available for purchase.
Honeoye Falls - Mendon Historical Society
Mendon Community Center, 167 North Main Street, Honeoye Falls
This facility is handicapped accessible.
The meeting is open to the public.
Refreshments will be served. For information, call 624-5655.
"The Cobourg Ferry"
Sunday May 5th at 1pm
The New York Museum of Transportation completes its Sunday WinterFun 2019 series with a presentation by Tom Brewer about the steam ferry service across Lake Ontario that once connected Rochester with our Canadian neighbors. Mr. Brewers' illustrated talk will take place on Sunday, May 5 from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. The presentation is free with the family friendly admission of $4 adults and $3 for youths age 3 – 12 (museum members free!).
The Ontario Car Ferry Co., Ltd. operated two ships to carry railroad cars and passengers to and from Cobourg, Ontario, Canada from 1907 until 1950. Mr. Brewer is a member of the Charlotte/Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society, and his collection of images depicting the ferry service will bring back another important chapter in this area's transportation history.
See you there
New York Museum of Transportation (NYMT)
6393 East River Road
West Henrietta, New York 14586